skip navigation


GBN Moves on to Finals after Sweeping Rockford

By GBN 02/26/2015, 5:30pm CST

Behind a stingy defense and opportunistic offense, the Spartans were able to move onto the SHL Finals with a 2 games 0 sweep of Rockford. In the first game played on Friday (2/18), GBN took advantage of a two man advantage in the first period and scored two goals, both by defenseman Chad Yale, to take a quick 2-0 lead.

Logan Nein would put the Spartans up 3 when he scored midway through the third period on a rebound shot. Rockford  broke Garrett Cohen's shutout bid with just a minute to play, to make the final 3-1 in game 1.

In game two at Rockford, the line of Kyle Fisher, Tyler Mulier and Eric Doar, got GBN on the board first when Doar captured a rebound and put it under Rockford goalie Brandon Roderick.

On a 4 on 4 situation, Rockford would tie the score in the second period when the Spartans turned the puck over deep in their own zone,  a scramble occurred and the Iceman would jump on a loose  puck and tie the game.

Alex Merritt answered right back just a minute later to put the Spartans up 2-1 on a tap in goal. This goal seemed to stem any momentum that Rockford had gained after their first goal.

GBN would extend their lead in the 3rd period when Mulier attacked the Rockford net on a 2 on 1 and choose to shoot the puck, his first shot was saved but he stayed with the play and scored on the rebound.

The Spartans would add two more late goals to make the final 5-1.

It is the third straight year that GBN will play in the SHL finals and a chance to defend their existing title.

NTG Takes Game 1 in Triple OT

By Angie Wiatrowski - @Angiewiatrowski 02/26/2015, 5:00pm CST

Tension was always in the air between New Trier Green and Barrington and Round 1 of the SHL Semifinals didn't disappoint. The Trevians managed a 3-2 win but not before three overtimes. Yes, three. 

"Something like that has never happened to me before," said New Trier Green goaltender Jack Junge. "At the end (of regulation) you could tell that everyone was tired but I think they were more tired than we were so we had the edge in overtime."

Junge made 39 saves in the win. 

After a scoreless first, Barrington set the pace in the second period with a shot from Casey Dodge with 16:29 left. New Trier Green made things interesting in the third with a gaol from Harry Jones and then Graham Soman broke the tie with 2:53 left to play. Things got more intense when Barrington's Colin Starvel forced the game into overtime with 20 seconds left to play. 

"Barrington has beat us twice this year and they're an excellent coached team," said New Trier Green head coach Bob Melton. "We tried to neutralize them and try to attack the rest of the team but their team doesn't have many weaknesses."

You could see the tension in the air and feel the pain in their legs after each over time. But it was New Trier Green's leading scorer Brent Segvich knocking in the winner with 16:52 left in triple overtime. 

"The whole game I was shooting glove-side, "Segvich said. "Coach kept telling me to shoot blocker-side low and I finally got a shot blocker-side low and it went in and it was pretty awesome." 

New Trier Green knew this game would be tough especially facing Barrington's Marcus Kunzmann between the pipes. Kunzmann made 51 saves in the game. 

"I just have to give all the credit to their goalie," said Melton. "It was just a great game, this time of the year there's really no tomorrow. You have to come and give it your all and I'm just glad we took advantage of home ice tonight." 

Barrington will host New Trier Green for Game 2 at 7:30p Sunday. 

Skill vs. Strength: GBN Cruises Past Rockford in Game 1

By Angie Wiatrowski - @AngieWiatrowski 02/21/2015, 2:30pm CST

Glenbrook  North coach Evan Poulakidas was a little nervous going into Round 1 of the SHL Semifinals vs. Rockford Friday night in Northbrook. He knew what to expect but his team hadn't been on the ice in a week. But when push came to shove it was skill over strength that led the Spartans to a 3-1 win. 

"I was worried about our start tonight," Poulakidas said. "Generally when we don't play in a week don't play that well the first game back so getting that start was really critical into getting to where we got tonight."

The Spartans took advantage of two power plays early, calming Poulakidas' nerves a bit. It was Chad Yale that netted those two power play goals with 12:46 left in the first and the other with 11:39 left. 

"We knew it was going to be a physical game so we just tried to use our speed to get around them," Yale said. "They have a lot of big boys on their team and we just try to do the best we can with what we have and if we don't get it, we'll get it next time."

The Spartans definitely showed their speed and skill and had plenty of scoring opportunities where the game should have been a bigger blowout. They had it set up perfectly and just couldn't deliver. 

For Poulakidas, their efforts was deja vu. Practice didn't go so well and when they don't practice well, they don't play well. 

"Last night (at practice) it was the same thing tonight," Poulakidas said. "We had great offensive chances in our drills but couldn't find the back of the net to save our life. I thought we had great opportunities to extend that lead and their goalie made some great saves, you have to give him a lot of credit. Truthfully I think we should have had five or six but he was outstanding." 

Logan Nein came through for the Spartains with 11:54 left in the third and knew their skill would out-weigh Rockford's strength. 

"We knew we're a fast team, we knew we have a lot of skill," Nein said. "When a big team goes against a skill team it's always going to be a good game."

Rockford's lone goal was scored by Andy Cropp with 19 seconds left to play. Rockford will host Glenbrook North for Game 2 of the semifinals Thursday at 8:30p.